Whether you’re a food producer or restaurant chain, staying tuned to what flavors and ingredients are trending is an essential component of the development cycle. After all, millennials — who are the largest, most diverse generation in the U.S. population — embrace new flavors and experiences, so it’s important to predict trends that they’ll love and offer items that appeal to their palate.
Flavor and ingredient trends change every year. For example, while sriracha had its 10 minutes of fame a few years ago, people are craving new spicy foods in 2017. To help you identify all of the flavor and ingredients trending around the web this year, we rounded up 10 of the most helpful 2017 food trend resources available on the Internet today:
- Culinary forecast: Flavors gaining favor in 2017 – From Food Business News, this article highlights market research trends such as smoke, heat, citrus and umami.
- McCormick Flavor Forecast 2017 – Featuring beautiful photos of trending foods, McCormick’s Flavor Forecast “identifies top trends and ingredients shaping the future of flavor.” The report even includes recipes.
- SensoryEffects 2017 Feature Flavors Trends – Trends featured in this blog post include ethnic and worldly foods, clean label and savory, spicy and sweet flavors.
- Nutritional Outlook 2017 Flavor Trends for Food and Beverage – Experts in this post agree about two things: Asian spices and tropical flavors will shine this year.
- What’s Hot Culinary Forecast – The National Restaurant Association’s forecast predicts food and menu trends with global flavors and a “from-scratch” presentation.
- “Clean Supreme” Leads Top Trends for 2017 – In addition to specific flavors and ingredients, consumers are wanting more “clean label” products, as Food Ingredients First found out. The article contains several intriguing statistics about clean supply chain claims and trending plants.
- 6 Flavor Trends in 2017 – Yuzu, ginger and vanilla are just a few of the flavors highlighted in this post from Cheers Online.
- Mintel Announces Six Key Global Food and Drink Trends for 2017 – Mintel, the world’s leading market intelligence agency, identifies several food trends, such as using familiar base ingredients with something new.
- The 11 Hottest Food Trends for 2017 – The Fiscal Times presents food trends like seaweed ingredients and Thai flavors in an easy-to-digest slideshow.
- The next hot trends in food – Cactus? Moringa? Just two of the ingredients featured in this insightful post from MarketWatch.
A custom food manufacturer can help you develop recipes inspired by 2017 flavor trends. To see how, consider scheduling a consultation with one today.